ISO 45001 is an International Standard that specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, with guidance for its use, to enable an organisation to proactively improve its OH&S performance in preventing injury and ill-health. ISO 45001 is intended to be applicable to any organisation regardless of its size, type and nature. ISO 45001 enables an organisation, through its OH&S management system, to integrate other aspects of health and safety, such as worker wellness/wellbeing; however, it should be noted that an organisation can be required by applicable legal requirements to also address such issues.
Benefits of ISO 45001:2018
- Developing and implementing an OH&S policy and OH&S objectives.
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its “context” and which take into account its risks and opportunities, and its legal and other requirements.
- Determining the hazards and OH&S risks associated with its activities; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects.
- Establishing operational controls to manage its OH&S risks and its legal and other requirements.
- Increasing awareness of its OH&S risks.
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, through taking appropriate actions.
- Ensuring workers take an active role in OH&S matters.